Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wednesday 2/7 A refresh and the Kafka museum

I slept in till 10 or so, and only got up by just past 11. I woke up very tired still, and a fair bit groggy. I put it down to the zyrtec I had the night before to try and curb my stupid allergies and what they had been doing to me since we arrived in Poland. I finally made it down to breakfast by 12 or so and spent the next hour there eating and using Ozy to type and check mail.

When we thought we had wasted enough day we headed out. Our target was the Kafka museum. I mean, how could you go to Prague and not go to the museum dedicated to the man who really embodies Prague? We took our usual metro trip to Charles Bridge and then walked across and to the museum. There was a cool big K installation in the courtyard and we grabbed the opportunity to take photos with it.

Outside the Kafka museum

Us with the K

We bought tickets from the gift shop and had a quick browse too. The museum was incredible. It started off with a lot about his life, set out in a continuum of interesting info about the man, his childhood and his family. It seemed that his childhood and his relationship with his father really played the greatest role in his development and in the creation of much of his work.

The info then about his romances and individual pieces of literature were really very interesting. There was a video installation based on The Castle but we didn't get a great look since some loud group of teens (part of a tour, no doubt) were there, making shadow puppets in front of the projector, and laughing loudly. I thought that the incredible amount of meaning in this place was wasted on people like that. I mean, there are always times to have fun and whatnot but this really wasn´t one of them. I felt sorry that they weren´t going to get much out of the museum.

When we had done we went back to the gift store and Em bought a nice copy of Metamorphosis. We headed back to the hostel after that, and did some blogging. Later that night we got ready and went out to try and find some nightlife places Emma had found on the net. We weren´t very successful. One place we didn't find and the other one was quite empty and the music wasn´t entirely great.

No comments: